We all give our dogs a treat now and then but do you know which foods for humans are dangerous for dogs?
Many of the foods below are highly poisonous to dogs so if your pet ingests any of these please call us as soon as possible so we can assess how serious the situation is.
1. Alcohol – Ethanol, which is found in medicines and mouthwash as well as alcoholic drinks, is toxic to dogs and can be fatal. Symptoms may include drowsiness, seizures and difficulty breathing. In serious cases it can lead to heart attack, coma and even death.
2. Raw dough or fermented foods -these contain yeast, which breaks down to ethanol once it enters a dog’s digestive system. Therefore ingesting these foods can cause the same symptoms as above.
3. Chocolate – Chocolate poisoning is seen quite often as it is easily left accessible to a wily dog interested in a little snack. Unfortunately, theobromide, an ingredient in chocolate, can severely affect your dog’s nervous system and even result in death. The amount and type of chocolate eaten can affect how your pet reacts so even if they have stolen a piece of chocolate before with no adverse results, do give us a call to make sure.
4. Caffeine – Caffeine can raise a dogs heart rate and can cause an abnormal heart rhythm. Your dog may become hyperactive, suffer vomiting or diarrhoea and even have seizures. So, make sure coffee grounds, tea bags and drinks containing caffeine are kept out of paw’s reach.
5. Raisins and grapes – Even small amounts can lead to kidney failure in your pet so please do avoid these and please give us a call as soon as possible.
6. Onions, leeks, garlic – Foods belonging to the Allium family can cause stomach irritation and lead to damage in red blood cells. This can in turn cause anaemia (a low level of red blood cells) which can lead to organ damage.
7. Macadamia nuts – Even a few macadamia nuts can cause your dog to become ill with symptoms that may include lethargy, fever, stomach pain, vomiting and muscle tremors.
8. Xylitol – Xylitol is an artificial sweetener and so is found in many foods, such as sugar free gum, diabetic foods and ‘diet’ drinks. It causes insulin to release which can make blood sugar levels drop dangerously low very rapidly and this can in turn be life threatening if not treated quickly.
9. Mouldy foods – Mouldy food contains toxins that can make your pet very ill very quickly so please make sure you keep food waste and the food waste caddy locked and out of your pet’s reach.